Friday, February 6, 2009

The good, the bad and the ugly

TOO HOT!
So I think the seed flat that was sitting on the warmer got a little too hot - 95°! I was running my little experiment to see which flat would germinate first but I'm pretty sure that cooking the seeds aren't going to get me anywhere. So I turned the heating mat off. It's not like I'm trying to start pumpkins, corn or squash. (Which I'll save the mat for when the time comes). Good to know I don't need to rush out and get another one. The heat from the lights seem to be keeping the soil warm enough; after a full day under lights the unheated mat was 86°. Poor lettuce seeds, the little things are probably sweating to death! (I also raised the lights one chain up so it's a little cooler there too...)

MORE SEEDS
I also picked up a few more seed packs today. (The shaking of which gives me great pleasure). I wanted to get about seven different things but couldn't find half of what I was looking for. Maybe Sunday morning I'll head over to the nursery I usually shop at to see if they have what I want. It's getting late for onion and parsley! I did find the flat leafed parsley I wanted so I should be okay there. I might start the seeds tomorrow morning and I couldn't find the onion I wanted. Oh noze! I'm still looking for sweet peppers but there's time. I also grabbed Brussels Sprouts and flowers that are good as companion plants to a veggie garden: marigolds, nasturtium* and morning glory.

*Growing up in the Bay Area (Calif.) nasturtiums were everywhere along the coast. They remind me of my childhood - right along with night blooming star jasmine and the not so lovely ice plant (which I still dislike).

2 comments:

Annie*s Granny said...

I loaded up on nasturtium seeds this year, then wondered if I should have. Nasturtiums put forth more leaf than blossom in fertile soil, and my new garden beds could certainly be called fertile! I didn't know morning glory was a good companion. If my clematis (in its bright blue pot) didn't survive our ultra cold winter, morning glory would be a beautiful replacement.

Just Jenn said...

I bought morning glory then came home and discovered the whole plant is poisonous - oh no! I'm not sure it's a good idea to plant it now as my toddler thinks everything in the back yard is eatable since the strawberries are. I still might try to plant it in the front yard where she's not as likely to try to eat it since nothing else out there is a "snack". ;^)