Saturday, September 5, 2009

Not much to do when it rains

The rain is back so I haven't been doing much of anything in the garden. I did notice that my green beans are coming back with a vengeance now that the heat is gone.  Yay!  Also one of my paprika peppers is turning red.  I hope the rest of them ripen before we're all rain and cold all the time again.  I still need to rip out the pumpkin vines that were hit with PM.  Maybe if it's dry tomorrow I'll give that a go.  Just before the rain came I managed to direct seed carrots, beets and spinach.  We'll see how they fare.  My spring crops of beets and spinach were a complete bust... maybe this time around they'll do better?  Fingers crossed.

5 comments:

Annie*s Granny said...

My fall beets are wonderful, and I picked the first of my fall spinach today. No leaf miners in the beet greens or spinach, unlike the spring crops. I wish no that I had planted more. It was really hot when I seeded the spinach, and only about a fourth of it germinated.

Sue said...

I've had the best luck direct sowing carrots by covering the row with a board after sowing.....that keeps the moisture in the soil so you don't have to water (and wash away the seed). Check it daily after 3 or 4 days and remove the board when you see sprouts.
Hope this helps.....it truly works the best!

Stefaneener said...

I hope the rain gives your direct-sown crops a real boost.

Shawn Ann said...

I would like to tag your blog with the Meme award! Thanks for sharing your garden. You can see the details at my blog.

Amy said...

I am tagging you too (for the Meme)!
http://transplantedgardener.blogspot.com/2009/09/meme-award.html