Sunday, September 27, 2009

Finally took some pictures!

So a whole lot of these:
Photobucket

Turned into a little bit of this:
Photobucket

I also have a bunch of these:
Photobucket

That I think I'll turn into a roasted red pepper spread. (But dang it! I need another pound of tomatoes and I just used them all to make the tomato sauce. Maybe my neighbor will take pity on me, she has loads of tomatoes left.) I went to Powell's Books today and picked up Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving: 400 Delicious and Creative Recipes for Today. The Roasted Red Pepper Spread recipe comes from that book. It was either that or Pickled Roasted Red Peppers and hubby voted for the former.

My other option is to use these with the red pepper spread:
Photobucket
I went and harvested all the grape tomatoes on my Sweetheart vine and there's got to be at least five lbs of em! They filled up the entire colander. I was thinking I'd dehydrate them though to use in sauce and on pizza this winter. When the family moved Grandpa out of his home (to a care facility) earlier this year and cleaned out the house he'd lived in for 60 some-odd years I inherited the dehydrator. It's only 10 years old and might even still work; I'm kinda afraid to plug it in. Grandpa never threw *anything* away. Oh. Except for the manual. I finally found it on-line but I don't know that I can get it clean enough. I don't think it was ever properly cleaned after being used so I'm a little... uh... Ew. At least the racks can go in the dishwasher... Then again for food safety sake it might be worth it to just go get a new one. At least I'll know where it's been. We'll see how clean I can get it by tomorrow first.

4 comments:

Jeff Vandiver said...

Reading about your sauce ordeal makes me wonder how much i'll get from mine. I have lots of green tomatoes still on the vines, but they won't ripen for me...Dangit. Like yourself, i'll probably increase my planting next year.

Heather said...

Gorgeous garden photos in your sidebar Jenn. I spotted (what I think is) a giant allium like the ones I had in my old garden. They're beautiful.

Just Jenn said...

EG, I've got some recipes for canning green toms I can look up for you if you'd like.

Heather, Thanks! I love the ornamental alliums. They're like spring time floating Christmas ornaments. =)

Jeff Vandiver said...

Jenn - i'll make green tomato salsa with some, then fry the rest. WooHoo! Thanks for the offer...