Friday, June 11, 2010

Gonna start building an Ark here soon...

This has been one of the wettest springs on record for the PNW. I mean, we're pretty used to a lot of cool days and wet weather and I'm okay with that but this is getting ridiculous. I've really not been in the garden at all because the rain just *never* lets up. There's stuff to do, I need to weed badly for example, but don't really want to get soaked doing it. Everything is struggling (except the potatoes which are still going nuts) under all the water. This was not the year to attempt melons for example - so I'm just going to let them go and try again next year (fingers crossed for hotter and dryer in 2011). By this time last year my peas were done and they're barely just forming now. The corn's gone back to being all yellow. We really need a few warm sunny days to dry everything out. We're supposed to get that this weekend but I'm holding my breath. This weather feels so perpetual and is completely depressing. Every forecasted day of warmth and sunshine disappears into a rain cloud as of late. I think I need a sunny Southern vacation before I lose my mind....

"According to KGW Meteorologist Rod Hill, by the time the latest storm system pushed through Thursday, Portland could see enough rain to push past its all-time record rain total for June, after only ten days in the month.
The all-time record rainfall for June is 4.08 inches. On Sunday, 1.48 inches of rain fell in Portland, nearly as much as the city typically received in the entire month of June. Sunday's deluge brought Portland's monthly rain total to 3.09 inches.
Wet weather records have been falling like the rain since April, and another one fell Wednesday. June 9 is the latest into the calendar year that Portland has failed to reach 80 degrees for the high temperature at least once.
With Sunday's deluge, Portland also surpassed the record for most rain for May and June combined, with 7.83 inches since May 1.
Many Oregon cities, including Astoria, Salem, Eugene and Portland, had already reached their June monthly rainfall by June 4.
Rain records have been falling for three months. The wet start to June follows a May that was the third-wettest ever recorded at 4.75 inches of rain. April set a new record with 25 measurable days of rain. Hill noted that, since April 1, 52 out of the 67 days have had measurable rain."

7 comments:

Roasted Garlicious said...

oh how i know your pain.. here on Vancouver Island, wet is wet is wet :( my garden looks lush, but so far behind.. the melons are still in my greenhouse, the peppers, and tomatoes are covered with reemay housing... i did see some sun this morning, but once again heavy clouds are rolling ... that said.. have a great day :D

Ribbit said...

Seems like we're all behind this year. I was swimming in cucumbers last year by this time and I don't have a single one yet.

Robin said...

There's nothing more depressing then the type of weather that you are having. I will pray for sunshine to come your way :)

Take care

Daphne Gould said...

I just hope you don't get the summer we had last year in the Northeast. It was cloudy and/or rainy all June. And very cold. This year we have been getting excessive moisture too, but with heat. We even had a microburst earlier in the week and it took down a lot of trees in the neighborhood.

Heather said...

Yes it has been quite depressing. Here in Vancouver BC, the rain hasn't let up either. I haven't even planted my beans. What is going on, really, if we all think sunny thoughts maybe the power of positive thinking could have some effect.

Randy Emmitt said...

Jenn,
I'll send you teo days on NC's 90+ degree hot, steamy and humid weather in exchange for 2 day of what you have been getting. Our forecast is 90+ everyday for the next week and lows barely in the 70s, the past week was the same. Peas we have picked maybe 2 gallons they are still kicking out peas.

icebear said...

I haven't seen an update for a while. Has the weather improved? Do you have anything left? Like Daphne said, we had horrible weather like yours last year. I'm actually glad i was not able to garden, it would have been a defeat fit for the record books.

I hope you haven't given up, you put a lot of effort into this :o)